10 Things you MUST KNOW
3) Does Every Scratch
off Promotion have to be registered?
and Rhode Island, the answer is no, and in these states only when
the total prize pool (the retail value of all prizes being offered)
is more than $5,000 (for NY and FL), or $500 or more (for RI). New
York and Florida are the only states that currently require formal
registration of scratch off games and filing of surety bonds, with
being the most active in the enforcement of compliance with its
registration policies. This is required when the total prize value
is greater than $5,000. If the prize value is less, you will not
need to register the promotion. If you are only distributing a
small portion of the entire promotion in these states, there may be
a way around registering even if the prize value exceeds $5,000.
Gillespie toll free
1-866-831-9902 for a Free consultation and to learn move about this
4) Do all the prizes have to be given away? If you have a grand prize with a random drawing, or a second chance entry, all prizes must be awarded. However, in many "instant win" games, prizes may not be awarded if the winning game pieces are not found or claimed, provided your official rules clearly state that fact, as well as what the conditions for the awarding of prizes. When planning and budgeting for a scratch off promotion, you should always plan that all of the prizes will be awarded. You must have the prizes available to be awarded.
5) Are Official Rules required for every scratch off promotion? Official Rules are, legally, the sponsor’s "contract with the public". They constitute an enforceable contract between the sponsor and participants and can't be changed once they're published. If your promotion is marketed toward the general public, they are required and should be clearly spelled out for the promotion. An abbreviated set of rules and regulations can be printed on the back of the card with copies of the official rules and regulations available at all participating locations, on a website or by written request. If this is an internal sales, safety or employee incentive promotion, the official rules and regulations to the public are not required. However, I would strongly suggest that you have some type of contest structure in place to avoid any confusion. With every order, we can release customized set of basic rules and regulations for that can be used for this promotion. This is a $2,000 Value and is yours FREE with any promotion you do with our company. These rules can be easily customized for your promotion. Call Bill Gillespie Toll Free 866-831-9902 for a Free Rules Consultation!
6) McDonalds and Burger King glue their game pieces to their cups and require you to buy a menu item to get a game piece. How do they do this? There is no purchase required to play their games. However, if you ask for a game piece with out making a purchase, they will give you a form that tells you were to write to receive a game piece for free. This is called an Alternative Method of Entry. For example: “You may also obtain a game piece without purchase and a full set of rules by sending a self-addressed business size envelope postmarked no later than 00/00/00 to Game Card Request, 123 Any Street, Any town USA.This alternative method of entry allows manufactures and retailer to do in-package, on- package promotions or to only give out a game piece when a purchase is made.
7) How do I protect myself from mistakes, misprints or forgery? Many years ago, KRAFT foods ran into problem where there were too prizes printed for their promotion. After this fiasco, legalese in the Promotions marketing filed came up with what has been deemed as “The KRAFT Clause. This one clause can protect you 100% if the unlikely event that any problems occur. It reads as follows: "If due to a printing, production or other error, more prizes are claimed than are intended to be awarded for any prize level per the above, the intended prizes will be awarded in a random drawing from among all verified and validated prize claims received for that prize level. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded." This should be included in all official rules and regulations. If you don’t work with us, you should always work with a reputable printer who specializes in scratch off games. Do not run with a local printer that thinks they can do this type of job for you.
8) Contest Disclosures In addition to lottery laws, various state laws require contest promoters to disclose certain information. Companies typically make these disclosures in their contest rules, although some states require that the disclosures be made elsewhere as well. When writing rules for a sweepstakes or contest, think of them as a contract - courts usually do - and try to anticipate problems that may arise. Some issues that commonly arise include: What if there is more than one winner? When will the sweepstakes open and close? What will you do with damaged or illegible entries? Who is eligible? Who will pay the taxes? Thinking through the mechanics of the sweepstakes from beginning to end, and drafting rules covering likely issues, will save you time and money (and perhaps bad press or worse) down the road. We are here to help. With every order, we give you a Generic Set of Rules and Regulations with a value at over $2000. Please contact Bill@promoprintinggroup.com for more information on this Free Service.
9) Do Scratch
off Games really work?
For years now, "experts" have been predicting the complete and total
demise of sweepstakes, contests, and scratch off games. Yet,
according to industry reports, sweepstakes activity has steadily
increased over the last 10 years by more than 25 to 30 percent—on
top of an already solid base or benchmark of activity.
· Average Rate of Return is between 5-20% (we often see 30% - 50%)
· Redemption rates are high! No one throws away a winning lottery ticket.
· It is proven that consumers interact 10 times longer with a scratch and win than with any other promotion.
· It creates a competitive edge. You have control over your prizes and offers.
· Increases foot traffic, impulse purchases, and brand recognition.
10) How Do We Get Started? Finding a scratch card printer that can provide you with a variety of styles and sizes, or can even customize cards to fit your needs is important to the overall success of your promotion. At Promo Printing Group, we work one on one with each of our customers from start to finish, making sure they fully understand all elements of the printing process. Some internet printers allow you to upload files and pay on line without fully understanding the ramifications and legality of running a scratch off game. Call toll Free Today for a Free Consultation and to receive a free idea sample package. Challenge us today! © 2001 Promo Printing Group, Inc.. All Rights Reserved
Printing Group, Inc.